SAFTEA Defensive Carbine 2 Instructor
The SAFTD Instructor level courses are designed to teach the experienced shooter/instructor, how to present the SAFTD courses to the general public using the SAFTD MOI as a basis for instructional methods and techniques. This course also encompasses the proper running of the range portions of the class and the best practices for achieving the maximum amount of learning from the students.
The goal of the Second Amendment Foundation Training Division’s Defensive Carbine 2 Course is to provide the student with an opportunity to build upon the foundational skill-set and knowledge base that was acquired in Defensive Carbine 1. This will include a continued focus on the defensive mindset, discussion regarding avoidance/deescalation strategies, an understanding of the physiological changes that occur in the human body when under lethal force stress and what affect they have on our training, and a series of skill development exercises that will help the student learn to more efficiently and effectively use a carbine for self defense in a lethal force encounter.
Defensive Carbine 2 is not a “marksmanship” or “target shooting” course. Rather it is designed to help the student quickly develop essential skills that can help him/her prevail in a real lethal force encounter.
Defensive Carbine 2 consists of a full day of intense range training and instruction covering a variety of topics including, but not limited to:
- Avoidance and deescalation strategies
- The importance of the Defensive Mindset
- Physiological changes that occur when under severe stress
- Review of Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
- Defensive Accuracy Concept
- Volume of Fire
- Using lateral movement
- Presentation of the Carbine
- Emergency and Tactical Reloads
- Proper Scan and Assess procedure
- Malfunction Clearing Remedies
- Engaging Multiple Targets
- Moving to Cover and/or Concealment
- Application of learned skills under realistic conditions
- A modern, serviceable carbine
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
- Sturdy Shoes, Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Baseball Cap
The Defensive Carbine 2 course length is a full day, typically taking 8 – 10 hours including a 1-hour scheduled lunch break. A short break is given after each hour of instruction (approximately).