SAFTEA Instructor Workshop (40hours) (Instructor classes MOI-RO-FASTHG-DH1Inst)
This class is an add-on class only for current SAFTD Instructors. Only order the Defensive Handgun 1 Instructors packet, it only contains the Defensive Handgun 1 Instructors manual.
The SAFTD Instructor level courses are designed to teach the experienced shooter/instructor, how to present the SAFTD courses to the general public using the SAFTD MOI as a basis for instructional methods and techniques. This course also encompasses the proper running of the range portions of the class and the best practices for achieving the maximum amount of learning from the students.
The goal of the Second Amendment Foundation Training Divisions “Defensive Handgun 1” course is to provide the student with a solid foundation in basic knowledge of handgun safety, various types of handguns, an understanding of ammunition and how it functions, shooting fundamentals and an introduction to defensive shooting skills.
A person new to the use of a firearm for personal defense typically has a broad range of questions and is faced with learning a number of skills that are critical in the use of a firearm – in this case a handgun – to defend themselves, their family or someone in their charge. Defensive Handgun 1 is specifically designed to provide a person new to handguns the opportunity to gain that knowledge and learn those skills.
A number of topics will be covered in “Defensive Handgun 1 – Introduction to the Defensive Use of a Handgun”. These include but are not limited to:
- Safe handling of your firearm.
- Safe Storage of your firearm and ammunition.
- Basic components of a Double Action Revolver.
- Basic components of a Semi-Automatic Pistol
- Operation of a Double– Action Revolver
- Operation of a Single and a Double Action Semi-Automatic Pistol.
- Working With A Natural Defensive Stance
- 2-Handed and Single Handed Engagements
- Integrating The Color Code Into Your Life
- Finding Your Balance of Speed and Precision
- Clearing Common Pistol Stoppages
- Progressive Shooting Drills
- Definition of Cover and Concealment
- Use of Cover
- Selecting a Pistol and Ammunition
- A modern, serviceable, center-fire handgun
- Ear and Eye protection (electronic muffs preferred).
- Strong Side Holster – For safety reasons on the range our classes will use Strong Side Holsters only! - (No cross draws, shoulder rigs, pocket holsters, ankle, appendix or small of the back carry). Blackhawk Serpa and similar holsters which require the use of the index finger to deactivate a retention device will not be used in SAFTD classes. The ONLY exception is for Law Enforcement & Military who are issued these types of holsters for duty use.
- No pocket guns or holsters such as Ruger LCP etc. You will be presenting the gun from concealment and reholstering repeatedly. You need to be proficient at this task and have a holster that does not collapse when the gun is removed.
- Semi-Automatic Pistol or Double Action Revolver .38 special or 9 mm or above.
- 150 Rounds of Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo such as RIP ammo etc.
- Two extra functional magazines (semi-autos) or speed-loaders (revolvers)
- Dual Magazine carrier optional but HIGHLY recommended.
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Shoes – comfortable with sufficient support to permit a full range of motion. No sandals or flip-flops.
- Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Sturdy Belt
- Baseball Cap
Course length is a full day, typically 8-10 hours including a 1-hour lunch break. There are short breaks throughout both the classroom session and shooting range drills.