SAFTEA Defensive Shotgun 2
The goal of the Second Amendment Foundation Training Division’s Defensive Shotgun 2 Course is to provide the student with an opportunity to build upon the foundational skill-set and knowledge base that was acquired in Defensive Shotgun 1. This will include a continued focus on the defensive mindset, discussion regarding avoidance/deescalation strategies, an understanding of the physiological changes that occur in the human body when under lethal force stress and what affect they have on our training, and a series of skill development exercises that will help the student learn to more efficiently and effectively use a shotgun for self defense in a lethal force encounter.
Defensive Shotgun 2 is not a “marksmanship” or “target shooting” course. Rather it is designed to help the student quickly develop essential skills that can help him/her prevail in a real lethal force encounter.
Defensive Shotgun 2 consists of a full day of intense range training and instruction covering a variety of topics including, but not limited to:
- Avoidance and deescalation strategies
- The importance of the Defensive Mindset
- Physiological changes that occur when under severe stress
- Review of Defensive Shooting Fundamentals
- Defensive Accuracy Concept
- Volume of Fire
- Using lateral movement
- Presentation of the Shotgun
- Emergency and Tactical Reloads
- Proper Scan and Assess procedure
- Malfunction Clearing Remedies
- Engaging Multiple Targets
- Moving to Cover and/or Concealment
- Application of learned skills under realistic conditions
- A modern, serviceable shotgun, (pump or semi-auto shotgun recommended) in 12, 16 or 20 gauge
- Eye & ear protection (safety glasses that meet ANSI Z87.1-2003, ear plugs or muffs with at least 21db Noise Reduction Rating).
- Sturdy Shoes, Long Pants, Shirt With Higher Collar
- Ammunition: Factory fresh ammo only. NO RELOADS or specialty ammo.
- 150 rounds (7 1/2 or #8 shot), 25 shells that are #5 shot and at least 10 00-buck
- A quality belt designed to anchor gear to your body
- Shotshell carrier (either weapon mounted, belt or shotshell pouch)
- Comfortable clothing, knee-pads (optional but recommended).
- Hydration system or Bottled water.
- Baseball Cap
The Defensive Shotgun 2 course length is a full day, typically taking 8 – 10 hours including a 1-hour scheduled lunch break. A short break is given after each hour of instruction (approximately).